February is the month we celebrate the extraordinary contributions African Americans have made to this country and the world. Here are a few historical facts about North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University:
- 1891 – March 9 – The A&M College for the Colored Race was established
- 1926 – The National Alumni Association was organized
- 1931 – For the first time, female students were allowed to participate in the Student Government as members of the student council
- 1960 – Four A&T freshmen – Ezell Blair, Franklin McCain, Joseph McNeil, and David Richmond – initiated the Lunch Counter Sit-In demonstrations in Greensboro
- 1972 – N.C. A&T became a constituent institution of The University of North Carolina
Our Alumni Awards Committee is now accepting nominations for the following National Alumni Awards:
- Howard C. Barnhill Distinguished Service Award
- Julia S. Brooks Achievement Award
- Velma Speight Young Alumnus Award
Award recipients will be formally recognized at the Alumni Awards banquet on May 13, 2017. The deadline to submit nominations is Feb. 28.
Registration for Alumni Reunion Weekend 2017 is now open. We will be celebrating with the classes ending in 2’s & 7’s during the weekend of May 12 – 14. Please visit our website for more details.
We know February is the month we celebrate our love for all the special people in our lives. But it is also American Heart Month and a great time to encourage our loved ones to take good care of their heart health with balanced diets, regular exercise and medical check-ups. Aggies Love, AGGIES DO!
With Aggie Pride,
Pam McCorkle Buncum ‘81
Chair – Board of Directors